Everyone feels like a fraud sometimes. And a lot of times before I hit the “Publish” button, I worry that my writing sucks. A lot of times it does.
But every once in a while, I write something that people love. That for some unknown reason, they’ll share, tell their friends, or even write to me about. Revisiting these articles always makes me smile.
Here are 10 of my all-time best:
1. Time, Money or Love — Which is Most Important? – People have been telling me this is their favorite article of mine, ever. It’s one of my favorites too, and explores the relationships between time, money and love. Like my own “unifying theory of the universe.” If you’re new to mr-stingy and just want to read one article, I’d recommend this one.
2. Meet Nerdook: The ex-PETRONAS Engineer Who’s Now A Work-From-Home Computer Game Developer – My first “interview” post. With a classmate who left the corporate world to forge his destiny on the Internet. One of the biggest inspirations in my life.
3. How My Friend Lost 26 kg in 6 Months (and Raised Ten Thousand for Charity) – The story of how my fat friend turned his health around with intermittent fasting, carb cycling and weight training. And raised ten thousand bucks for charity along the way.
4. How I Paid Off My 58K Education Loan – My story on how I got out of 58K of education debt, through a combination of the Internet, credit cards and help from God.
5. Why I Give My Parents Money – I give money to my parents for selfish reasons. This short essay explains why.
6. What My Father Taught Me About Love – Dedicated to my father in conjunction with his seventieth birthday. He’s a man of few words, but I’ve never doubted that he loves his kids more than anything in the world.
7. 5 Career Lessons I Learned from 5 Memorable Bosses – I’ve been blessed with some truly memorable bosses in my eight years of working. These are five of the most important career lessons I’ve learned from five of them.
8. 5 Lessons to Learn from Tragic Flight MH370 – An article written on the morning of the disappearance of flight MH370: about life lessons we can learn from this tragic incident. It racked up a couple of thousand of shares within a few days and remains one of my most-shared articles ever.
9. How to Set a Monthly Budget (And Why Do It) – Monthly budgeting is one of the cornerstones of personal finance. This is the stingy guide to doing it.
10. Why You’ll Never Have an Equal Relationship – A look at how romantic relationships are never truly equal, and why that’s okay.
(Updated December 2015)